A raucous party, cooking accident, or quiet evening at home could all result in a splash or splatter of wine on a wall or other painted surface in your home. To have the best chance of completely removing the stain and restoring the appearance of the painted surface, treat the stain as promptly as possible. Use clean paper towels to absorb the the wine spill and help prevent it from spreading. If there is a pigmented stain remaining, as may be particularly likely in the case of red wine, the following techniques will help remove wine marks and prevent permanent staining. Paint finishes and base materials can vary widely, so test all cleaning solutions and application techniques in an inconspicuous location before using them in a wider area.
Dampen the corner of a clean cloth with glycerin. Apply the glycerin-dampened cloth directly to the wine marks, working with gentle pressure to allow the glycerin to lubricate the stain material. Remove glycerin residue by wiping with a clean cloth dampened with water. Add a small amount of mild pH neutral dish liquid or shampoo to 1 quart of cleaning solution that is equal parts water and white vinegar. The cleaning solution should be lightly sudsy. Apply the cleaning solution with a clean sponge to the wine affected area to break up tannins and acids in the wine stain. Wipe with a clean cloth dampened with water. Repeat this stain removal cycle of glycerin - water - cleaning solution of water, vinegar and mild shampoo - water until stain removal has been completed to your satisfaction. Avoid over wetting, and allow the painted surface to dry thoroughly. If a large area was affected, you may wish to use fans to help facilitate drying and prevent lingering moisture that could encourage mildew growth.
Caution: Never mix cleaning agents or chemicals, the result can be dangerous or deadly. Before cleaning, always test the agent on an inconspicuous location to determine its suitability and to make certain it does not damage the material. Wear appropriate clothing such as gloves and protective eyewear, and work in a well-ventilated area. Accidental inhalation or ingestion of cleaning agents can be hazardous and even fatal, particularly to pets and children.